Mastan

Mastan






Born in 1878 in Desur, accompanied Akhilanandamma to Tiruvannamalai and saw Sri Ramana for the first time in 1914.

Mastan, a Muslim, was a weaver by profession. Highly spiritual, he made cloth for Sri Ramana's use. He was drawn to the Maharsi by Akhilandamma along with whom he saw the Maharshi for the first time in 1914.

When I came to Bhagavan, he was seated like a rock, His unwavering gaze filled with grace, compassion and steady wisdom. I stood by his side. After giving me a lock, he opened the gate of my Heart and I was established in his table. I stood like that for eight hours without fatigue, filled with total absorption and peace. Bhagavan in those days used to open our Heart with a simple gracious look, which transormed us. There was no need for any questions since he made us, by his look, like himself.

Akhilanandamma, who probably knew Mastan better than anyone else, says:
Mastan and I would come to Arunachala from our village, 40 miles from Tiruvannamalai, to have the pleasure of serving Bhagavan. A man of whims, Mastan would suddenly suspended his weaving and go live with Bhagavan for months on end. During this period he would keep his body and soul together on alms that he begged. Bhagava once observed, "Mastan's craft did not give food either to him or his parents but gave me cloths."

Once a mongoose larger than the ordinary size, of golden hue [not grey as a mongoose is] made straight for Bhagavan. It sat on his lap for a while. Later, it was wandered around and closely inspected different parts of the cave and then disappeared into into the bushes on the hill. Mastan being afraid that the mongoose might harm the peacocks was ready with a stick in case it made an attack. Addressing Mastan, Bhagavan said, "Who do you think he was? Do you think you could have caught him? He was a sage of Arunachala who took on this from to visit me. How many time I told you that sages come to see me in various forms."